COVID is influencing each one of us and the whole world. It is creating a huge change in our lives.
For some of us who have got infected by it or a family member infected by it, the change is very deep and emotional. None of us would have heard about this Virus couple of months back. To get infected and suffering due to the Virus would have been a big shock. From what I heard; this Virus causes severe damage to the body. Luckily for many Indians, the virus was not at its’ virulent worst. But still if you got infected by it and survived, it is definitely the 2.0 Version of you right now in circulation. You would value the life even more; you would believe there is something more that you have to do in this life.
Lockdown and its’ effect
Due to the Lock down and the effect of it, there are many changes that are happening. What I am experiencing and what I am hearing are as follows:
- Everyone is spending more time with the family that is bringing them together.
- Many couples are resolving long pending issues.
- Many are able to connect with the Nature in a wonderful manner. Able to appreciate the beauty of nature.
- Many are working physically for the first time in their life as the Domestic helps are not available.
- Some are bringing out their talent. Like this Face book friend of mine who is cooking a wonderful meal every day and sharing the Recipes with everyone.
- Someone started teaching yoga online.
- Someone is sharing the importance of natural remedies.
- I have relaunched my YouTube Channel.
- I have launched IMA’s ‘Work Management Systems’ initiative online for the first time in a Company. We launched it in about 20 companies so far. But doing it online is for the first time.
- Many people have become more aware of the need for physical exercise.
- Many are learning several skills online.
- Several Parents are able to teach their children the household chores in this time.
The Virus has inflicted an unimaginable suffering on some sections of the society. Especially the Migrant Labor and the Daily wage earners. These are the vulnerable members of the society. It has exposed how important is a safety net for the Vulnerable part of our Society. There is a need to address this section of people immediately.
It is also exposing how weak is our Health Care System in the Country. The stories emerging from the Hospitals are showing the valor of our frontline warriors and it is also showing the weak nature of our Health care system.
The Virus will cause some deep changes in our society and the way we are working. There are some Changes that have started in our Businesses that are now becoming Tectonic Changes. They are gathering speed now.
The biggest change that is gathering speed is one of ‘Improvement in efficiency’. Every Company would look to improve their efficiency. This would give rise to dependence on Technology much more than what it is now. Every Company would look to more efficient use of Technology.
Now, you have to discover the next version of yourself. The next version needs to have the following characteristics:
- Highly Skilled: If you do not have a specific skill, then your job would be at stake. The Skill that you have should be in demand. Eg. If you have been an Engineer who had been a Supervisor in a Manufacturing unit, then you need to learn specific skills like Lean Manufacturing, Industry 4.0, Data analytics and so on that can help you improve the efficiency of your Manufacturing.
- Ability to Develop a new Vision for your Business: If you have been carrying on your Business in a particular way and making a certain profit, now you have to rediscover your Business. You may have to refocus your Business on to new areas. You may have to rediscover the methods of doing Business. Eg. A Company that had been doing business in a certain way is trying to improve their Productivities 10X. They are trying to eliminate the problems in Operations so that they can focus on the Market. This will transform their Business.
- Tech Savvy: You have to learn more about technology if you want to be relevant. Some of us are not even knowing how to get on to a Zoom call. I notice that even youngsters are not familiar with simple Technology. Now you have to learn the Technology that is relevant to your Business.
- Health conscious: You have to be highly health conscious. You need to start going to the Gym, take care of yourself, start doing yoga and stay healthy. If not Carona, the next virus may get you. You need to be fit enough to fight it off.
- Connect with Nature: Your activities have to be in alignment with the nature. There will be much more awareness about this post Covid.
How should you make this happen?
While you may have intention to do it, you need to find a way to make this happen. We would suggest the following way:
a) Formulate the Goals: Work out the Goals for your Transformation on the basis of the knowledge that you have right now. You may have to modify your goals as you go along. But you need to get the Directions of the Goals right. You can talk to appropriate people around you.
b) Recognize the Urgency: Unless you are fully convinced, the change will not happen. You need to recognize the urgency of this change. You need to think deep and relate this change to your Life goals. You need to get the need for change right. You need to relate this Transformation to some higher goal of your life.
c) Find new associations: If you are trying to Transform yourself, then you need to associate with appropriate people. Same old associations will not take you there. Try becoming part of Social Groups that have people whom you may not know. Here, the CEO Groups, TIE Cohorts are useful.
d) Take Coaching help: It would be good to take the help of a Coach in this journey. A good Coach can help your Transformation to accelerate. An experienced CEO Coach can make a big difference for you.
e) Motivate yourself: You need to keep motivating yourself with the small progress that you may make on the way. It would be good to form a group of your friends who may have similar goals.
You would find more ways to make it happen after you start the journey!
Let the ‘You 2.0’ start to emerge !!